Friday, January 15, 2010

Friendly Northern Ireland

After almost a week in Northern Ireland, I see the snow and ice has melted away. Kilcranny House is drying out, and I hope to move there in the next couple of days. I have been the recipient of the most generous hospitality. And I have been enjoying the friendly Northern Irish people. Here is an example. A few days ago, I had a coffee at a local shop in Portrush. My next stop was the library, but I couldn't remember which way to go. I asked the young woman who came out just behind me. She said, "Just a minute." Instead of giving me directions, she signalled to the woman who was parked by the curb, her friend, and said "We're going to give you a wee lift." So I held a Pekingnese on my lap and they drove me all of 200 yards to the library.

I took the train the Belfast yesterday and took in the newly renovated Ulster Museum. I struck up a chat with two women headed for Londonderry and a day of shopping. They made sure I made the transfer in Colraine smoothly. At the train station in Belfast, I asked one of the employees the direction to the museum. He walked me to the sidewalk and gave me the directions I needed. As I picked up my coat from the coat check after my day at the museum, the young man working there asked if I had enjoyed my visit and we had a little chat. Everyone goes the extra distance to be more than courteous.

No comments:

Post a Comment