Monday, January 11, 2010

Starting with an update

I am going to make an effort to blog so that family and friends can know a little about what is happening with me. Right now, I want to just share news. Maybe later I will try write entertaining anecdotes.

As you know if you are following the news, the British Isles are experiencing an unusually cold, snowy, icy winter. Those conditions mean when I arrived in Belfast last Friday, the long lane to Kilcranny House was iced over. Also, the freezing temperatures over the holidays, left the house with some frozen pipes and a boiler on the fritz.

Many kind people, friends of Kilcranny, are making sure I am well cared for. Some of these are member of the management committe. Others are people who have other connections to the Kilcranny network. And Lisa, a current volunteer, also checks in with me and keeps me informed.

After spending two nights in Colraine with Gillian, I am now in Portrush, with Smita. I am enjoying good, long walks in the morning, today's along the windy shoreline in Portrush including the beach that attracts a crowd in the summer. Only the seagulls greeted me this morning.

I don't set out until nearly 8:30 when it is daylight. Short days now. It will begin to get dark around 4:30.

I am taking each day as it comes. No one can make promises or even good predictions about when we can get safely to the house and have heat and running water.

No comments:

Post a Comment